Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Woolf


Our first book for Women's Lit. was Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own." I'd heard a lot about Virginia Woolf, mainly that her writing was very complicated and hard to read and understand, so I was a little bit afraid, but excited to be reading a classic.
Well, I was blown away. Woolf's writing can get a little bit hard to understand and make the reader weary at times, but her insight is absolutely amazing.
The book is based on two lectures she gave to women's colleges about women and fiction. Instead of a forward lecture on exactly what she thought about women and fiction she explained her confusion at that point in her life and in literature.
At the beginning of the book her writing seemed a bit aimless, but as she explains the situation and hardships women faced when it came to write anything they wanted, the reader begins to see a point. As the book continues things began making more and more sense, and the writing becomes very engaging. But what I love the most is the way she ties everything together at the end. I won't spoil it, but whether you are a man or a woman, it's very satisfying.
Now I want to read more Virginia Woolf, I was recommended "Moments of Being" so when I have time I'll get to it.

Soon to Come:

Zora Neale Hurston: Their Eyes Were Watching God
Karrine Steffans: Confessions of a Video Vixen

No comments: